ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Preparing a Character for a New Job: Character Analysis through Job Placement
|Grades||9 – 12|
|Lesson Plan Type||Standard Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Four 50-minute sessions|
Grades 6 – 12 | Student Interactive | Inquiry & Analysis
Students analyzing a play can map out the key elements of character, setting, conflict, and resolution for a variety purposes. This interactive is aimed at secondary students.
- Job Placement Assignment
- Client Preparation Rubric
- Resume Writing Tips
- Resume Component Checklist
- Quotations on Laura Wingfield's Shyness
- Writing Resumes for Fictional Characters
- The Owl at Purdue: Resume Workshop
- The Owl at Purdue: Workplace Writers
- The Owl at Purdue: Resumes
- Monster.com Resume Samples
- Microsoft Office Basic Resumes
- U.S. Government Job Announcements
- Jobstar Central: Job Search Guide
- Jobweb: Career and Job-Search Information
- O*Net OnLine
- Before this lesson, students will read a book independently, in literature circles, or as a whole class. Students should be familiar with the plot and the major themes of the literary work. The examples in this lesson focus on The Glass Menagerie; however, many other pieces of literature will also work for this classroom activity. Other dramas that would work well, for instance, include A Streetcar Named Desire, The Crucible, Death of a Salesman, and Our Town.
- Ask students to bring copies of the books that will be the focus of their project to class for reference.
- Make copies of the Assignment, Resume Writing Tips, Resume Checklist, and Rubric.
- Test the resume and job search Websites on your computer so that you can be familiar with problems or concerns students may have when constructing their resumes.
- Test Drama Map and the Writing Resumes for Fictional Characters presentation on your computers to familiarize yourself with the tools and ensure that you have the Flash plug-in installed. You can download the plug-in from the technical support page.