ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, videos, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Preparing for the Journey: An Introduction to the Hero Myth
|Grades||9 – 12|
|Lesson Plan Type||Standard Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Three 50-minute sessions|
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
- Internet-connected computers for each group
- Copies of books from the Introducing the Hero's Journey through Picture Books list
Grades 6 – 12 | Student Interactive | Inquiry & Analysis
Students can use this tool to learn about the elements of the hero's journey, analyze a text that follows the hero's journey pattern, or start creating a hero story of their own.
Grades 6 – 12 | Mobile App | Inquiry & Analysis
Students can use this mobile app to learn about the elements of the hero's journey, analyze a text that follows the hero's journey pattern, or start creating a hero story of their own.
- Though this lesson can stand alone as a basic introduction to the hero's journey, it is designed as preparation for reading or viewing a more substantial work. Select the hero's journey text that students will eventually read or view and keep it in mind as students complete this introductory activity.
- Obtain copies of books from the Introducing the Hero's Journey through Picture Books list.
- Test The Hero's Journey tool and familiarize yourself with its content and layout. Ensure that you have the proper Flash plug-ins installed. You can download the plug-in from the technical support page.
- Bookmark The Hero's Journey tool and reserve computers for student use in the necessary sessions.