ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, videos, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Propaganda Techniques in Literature and Online Political Ads
|Grades||9 – 12|
|Lesson Plan Type||Standard Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Four 50-minute sessions|
Charleston, South Carolina
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
- A literary text featuring propaganda techniques (see booklist for ideas)
Grades 3 – 12 | Student Interactive | Organizing & Summarizing
The Persuasion Map is an interactive graphic organizer that enables students to map out their arguments for a persuasive essay or debate.
- Propaganda Techniques Used in Literature
- Analyzing Propaganda in Print Ads and Commercials
- Background Information before Examining Online Political Ads
- Propaganda Techniques Used in Online Political Ads
- Persuasive Essay Assignment
- Persuasive Writing Scoring Guide
- Political Websites
- Propaganda Critic
- Buyers Beware!
- The Living Room Candidate
- Center for the Study of Political Graphics
- Students should have read or viewed the text that you've chosen for this lesson. Several of the books on the list (and some appropriate Young Adult novels) are featured in the Text Messages podcast episode Teen Time Travel.
- Make copies of the handouts: Propaganda Techniques Used in Literature, Analyzing Propaganda in Print Ads and Commercials, Propaganda Techniques Used in Online Political Ads , and Persuasive Writing Scoring Guide.
- If desired, make copies or an overhead transparency of the Persuasive Essay Assignment.
- Read the background information related to online political advertisements.
- Test the Persuasion Map on your computers to familiarize yourself with the tools and ensure that you have the Flash plug-in installed. You can download the plug-in from the technical support page.