ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, videos, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Reading Informational Texts Using the 3-2-1 Strategy
|Grades||K – 2|
|Lesson Plan Type||Standard Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Three 45- to 60-minute sessions|
- Informational Text & 3-2-1 Strategy: Assessment Rubric
- 3-2-1 Strategy: Self-Assessment Sheet
- 3-2-1 Strategy Chart
Children's magazines and newspapers
- Appleseeds (social studies; ages 8+)
- Ask (arts & sciences; ages 6-9)
- chickaDEE (science; ages 6-9)
- CLICK (science & exploration; ages 3-7)
- Kids Discover (history, nature, science, & geography; ages 6+)
- National Geographic Kids (geography, science, nature, & social studies; ages 3-6)
- Ranger Rick (nature & animals; ages 7-12)
- Scholastic News (news & current events; ages 4-9)
- Sports Illustrated for Kids (sports news; ages 8-15)
- TIME for Kids (world news, sports, entertainment, & current events; ages 5-9)
- Weekly Reader (world news & current events; ages 4-9)
- YES Mag: Canada's Science Magazine for Kids (science, technology, engineering, & math; ages 8-14)
- Your Big Backyard (nature & animals; ages 3-7)
Online informational texts
- Big Cats Online: felines; grades 2-3
- Cousteau Kids: oceanography & sea life; grades 1-3
- Dig: archaeology; grades K-2
- KidsHealth for Kids: health & nutrition; grades 1-3
- NASA Kids: space; grades 1-3
- National Geographic Kids: Creature Feature: animals; grades 1-3
- Oceanic Research Group: Wonders of the Seas: oceanography & sea life; grades 2-3
- PBS Kids: Kratts' Creatures: animals; grades K-2
- Smart-Mouth.org: health & nutrition; grades 1-2
- TIME for Kids: News: current events & news; grades 1-2
|1.||Gather a supply of children's magazines or articles. Articles may be selected from print magazines or online resources.
|2.||Browse the Online Informational Texts and select one article to use during Session 1. In this example, we are using the article "Polar Bears" from the National Geographic Kids: Creature Feature; however, any informational article can be selected. Make a copy of the article for each student.
|3.||Bookmark the interactive 3-2-1 Strategy Chart on the computers that students will be using. Students can complete this form online. Note that if multiple students are using the same computer, the chart will need to be cleared before the next student begins, even if it has been closed. To do so, simply press the "Clear Chart" button at the top. If computers are not available, print blank copies of the chart to distribute to students during Session 2.