ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, videos, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Reading Literature in Translation: Beowulf as a Case Study
|Grades||9 – 12|
|Lesson Plan Type||Standard Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Two 50-minute sessions|
Washington, Washington DC
- Literary Guide: Beowulf
- Readings from Beowulf
- An Introduction to Beowulf: Language and Poetics
- The Electronic Introduction to Old English
- Grendel's Dog, from Beocat
- Beowulf: A Study Guide
- Resources for the Study of Beowulf
- Introduce your students to the basic poetic elements of Beowulf and Old English poetry. The lesson plan An Introduction to Beowulf: Language and Poetics can help you do this.
- Review the Beowulf: Language and Poetics Quick Reference Sheet. If you would like additional information on the meter, style, and grammar of Old English poetry, see chapters 13, 14, and 15 of The Electronic Introduction to Old English.
- For additional background, Beowulf: A Study Guide is an excellent meta-page with links to many other Beowulf resources and 20 questions for discussion. Another excellent resource which is both an introduction to the poem and a starting point for further research is the site Resources for the Study of Beowulf.
- For each student, print out a copy of each page of the Beowulf Translations Handout you wish to use. If you wish to use some of the translations for assessment purposes, decide which ones, and separate them from the translations you will use in-class.
- Test the Literary Guide: Beowulf on your computers to familiarize yourself with the tools and ensure that you have the Flash plug-in installed. You can download the plug-in from the technical support page.