ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, videos, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Reading and Writing Workshop: Freak the Mighty
|Grades||6 – 8|
|Lesson Plan Type||Unit|
|Estimated Time||Ten 50- to 60-minute sessions|
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
- Class set of Freak the Mighty (1 for each student)
- General classroom materials (drawing paper, colored markers, crayons, and so forth)
- Journals or spiral notebooks for reader responses
- Magnetic letters or letter cards
- Small notebooks or materials for bookmaking
Grades 3 – 12 | Student Interactive | Organizing & Summarizing
The Graphic Map assists teachers and students in reading and writing activities by charting the high and low points related to a particular item or group of items, such as events during a day or chapters in a book.
- Pre-read the novel.
- Generate a sample list of metaphors and hyperbole appropriate for the level of your class.
- Test the Graphic Map interactive on your computers to familiarize yourself with the tool and ensure that you have the Flash plug-in installed. You can download the plug-in from the technical support page.