ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, videos, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Renaissance Humanism in Hamlet and The Birth of Venus
|Grades||9 – 12|
|Lesson Plan Type||Standard Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Four 50-minute sessions|
Charleston, South Carolina
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
- Text for The Tragedy of Hamlet by William Shakespeare (available online, though a printed copy is recommended)
- A Definition of Humanism, such as that from The Penguin Dictionary of Literary Terms and Literary Theory by J. A. Cuddon (Penguin, 2000), or the Lecture on Renaissance Humanism posted on The History Guide: Lectures on Modern European Intellectual History Website.
- Art Explication: The Birth of Venus by Botticelli
- Renaissance Humanism in Hamlet
- Explication Essay Checklist
- Explication Essay Rubric: Renaissance Humanism
- Renaissance Humanism Student Interactive
- Lecture on Renaissance Humanism
- Botticelli, from the WebMuseum
- Analysis: The Birth of Venus
- Reproduction of The Birth of Venus
- The Tragedy of Hamlet
- Renaissance: Printing and Thinking
- Rome Reborn: The Vatican Library & Renaissance Culture
- Before this exploration, students should have read Shakespeare’s The Tragedy of Hamlet.
- Make arrangements to share a color version of Botticelli’s painting with students. You can project the Web image with an overhead projector, or make printouts of the image using a color printer.
- Review the Analysis of The Birth of Venus, Lecture on Renaissance Humanism, the resources in the Websites section, and any other available resources to choose those best for use with your class.
- Make copies of the Art Explication handout, the Renaissance Humanism in Hamlet handout, the Explication Essay Checklist, and the Explication Essay Rubric.
- Test the Renaissance Humanism student interactive on your computers to familiarize yourself with the tool and ensure that you have the Flash plug-in installed. You can download the plug-in from the technical support page.