ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Resumes and Cover Letters for High School Students
|Grades||9 – 12|
|Lesson Plan Type||Unit|
|Estimated Time||Eight 50-minute sessions|
Today’s high school students must market their experiences, skills, achievements, and accolades to set them apart from others when applying to college or for a job. This lesson takes students through the steps of creating an effective resume and cover letter using ReadWriteThink’s Resume Generator and Letter Generator.
- Resume Generator: This ReadWriteThink resource takes students through the process of creating a resume one step at a time.
- Letter Generator: This ReadWriteThink resource helps students create a professional cover letter.
- Sample High School Resumes and Cover Letters: These realistic resumes and cover letters help students visualize and generate content for their own documents.
Irvin, J.L., Meltzer, J., Mickler, J.M., Phillips, M., & Dean, N. (2009). Meeting the challenge of adolescent literacy: Practical ideas for literacy leaders.
- Reading and writing for authentic reasons is more motivating than reading or writing just because it is assigned.
- By creating resumes and cover letters, high school students can develop their writing skills while creating documents that are useful to them.