ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Resumes and Cover Letters for High School Students
|Grades||9 – 12|
|Lesson Plan Type||Unit|
|Estimated Time||Eight 50-minute sessions|
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
- LCD Projector
- Computers with Internet access
Grades 9 – 12 | Student Interactive | Organizing & Summarizing
This tool guides students through the creation of a resume that can be saved and edited. Written and audio tips provide extra support.
Grades K – 12 | Student Interactive | Writing & Publishing Prose
The Letter Generator is a useful tool for students to learn the parts of a business or friendly letter and then compose and print letters for both styles of correspondence.
- The 3 Fs of Resume Writing
- My Resume Ideas: Getting Started
- Steps to Creating a Cover Letter
- Sample High School Resumes and Cover Letters
- Resume / Cover Letter Rubric
- Visualizing Your Resume: Graphic Organizer
- Visualizing Your Cover Letter: Graphic Organizer
- College Admissions High School Resume
- High School Students Need a Resume Too
- Sample Cover Letter for High School Students
- Prepare copies of the Sample High School Resumes and Cover Letters printout so that students may review it.
- Reserve space in a classroom that has access to the Internet, specifically ReadWriteThink’s Resume Generator and Letter Generator.
- Prepare copies of the following printouts: The 3 Fs of Resume Writing, My Resume Ideas: Getting Started, Steps to Creating a Cover Letter, Sample High School Resumes and Cover Letters, Visualizing Your Resume: Graphic Organizer, and Visualizing Your Cover Letter: Graphic Organizer.