ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, videos, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
A “Cay”ribbean Island Study
|Grades||4 – 7|
|Lesson Plan Type||Standard Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Five 50-minute lessons|
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
- The Cay by Theodore Taylor
- Books and online resources about the Caribbean islands
- Chart paper/board and markers
Grades 3 – 12 | Student Interactive | Writing & Publishing Prose
The Flip Book is designed to allow users to type and illustrate tabbed flip books up to ten pages long. Students and teachers can use the flip book for taking notes while reading, making picture books, collecting facts, or creating question and answer booklets.
Grades 3 – 12 | Student Interactive | Organizing & Summarizing
The Essay Map is an interactive graphic organizer that enables students to organize and outline their ideas for an informational, definitional, or descriptive essay.
Grades K – 12 | Student Interactive | Writing & Publishing Prose
The interactive Printing Press is designed to assist students in creating newspapers, brochures, and flyers.
- Caribbean Map
This site includes great Caribbean Islands information and a map of all the islands.
- Caribbean Islands Travel and Tourism Information
At this site, you can learn about the Caribbean islands and browse the extensive Caribbean travel and tourism resources.
- Theodore Taylor
This author site provides a biography of Theodore Taylor, popular titles, film and stage information, and FAQ’s.
- Test the Flip Book, Essay Map and RWT Printing Press student interactives and make sure that you have the appropriate software installed for them to run effectively. You will need computers with internet access for each student to use these interactives. If computer accessibility is a problem, print out paper copies of the Flip Book and Essay Map and make enough copies for each student. If you need additional help with these interactives, please visit our Technical Help page.
- Make enough copies of the Group project rubric, Island Study Research Notes, K-W-L Chart, and Map of the Islands of the Caribbean for each student. Additionally, make transparencies of the Map of the Islands of the Caribbean and K-W-L Chart, which will be projected for the class to see.