ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
As Slippery as an Eel: An Ocean Unit Exploring Simile and Metaphor
|Grades||K – 2|
|Lesson Plan Type||Standard Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Four 50-minute sessions|
Maple Grove, Minnesota
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
Books that include figurative language, including The Sea House by Deborah Turney Zagwyn and My Visit to the Aquarium by Aliki
Grades K – 12 | Student Interactive | Writing & Publishing Prose
The Stapleless Book can be used for taking notes while reading, making picture books, collecting facts, or creating vocabulary booklets . . . the possibilities are endless!
Grades 3 – 10 | Student Interactive | Writing & Publishing Prose
This interactive invites students to create original multigenre, multimodal works--one drawing and three written texts--making the tool flexible for multiple writing activities.
- The Sea House activity sheet
- My Visit to the Aquarium activity sheet
- Ocean Comparisons
- Class Book Template for Younger Students or Older Students
- Guided Practice Revision Work Page
- Independent Practice Revision Work Page
- Student Self-Assessment
- Gather copies of books on the ocean or other theme, as well as books that feature figurative language. Suggested texts include The Sea House by Deborah Turney Zagwyn and My Visit to the Aquarium by Aliki.
- Make appropriate copies of the Guided Practice Worksheet, Independent Practice Worksheet, and Student Self-Assessment.
- If computers are available, review the Multigenre Mapper and decide whether to use the online tool or the class book template for Younger Students or Older Students. If computers are not available, make copies of the template that is most appropriate for your students.
- If you are using the online option, test the Multigenre Mapper on your classroom computer(s) to familiarize yourself with the tools and ensure that you have the Flash plug-in installed. You can download the plug-in from the technical support page.