ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, videos, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Sonic Patterns: Exploring Poetic Techniques Through Close Reading
|Grades||9 – 12|
|Lesson Plan Type||Standard Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Five 50-minute sessions|
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
- "Those Winter Sundays" by Robert Hayden
- Colored markers for overhead (optional)
- Colored highlighters for students (optional)
- An overhead projector and transparencies or an LCD
Grades 3 – 12 | Student Interactive | Organizing & Summarizing
Bio Cube is a useful summarizing tool that helps students identify and list key elements about a person for a biography or autobiography.
- Close Reading Notes for "Those Winter Sundays"
- Marking Your Text: The First Reading
- Key Word Study
- Close Reading Round Up
- Literary Terms Quick Reference
- Sonic Patterns Quickwrite
- I Remember You: Memory Composition Activity
- Sharing Out Loud—A Workshop Guide
- Checklist and Reflection Questions
- Further Exploration of Allusions in "Those Winter Sundays" (optional)
- Prepare copies of necessary handouts as well as overhead transparencies of "Those Winter Sundays" and the Literary Terms Quick Reference sheet.
- Review the Close Reading Notes for "Those Winter Sundays".
- Practice reading the poem aloud until you are sensitive to the sonic patterns and are able to present a fluid reading to the class, emphasizing the repeated sounds.
- Arrange for access to Internet-connected computers for Sessions One and Two.
- Bookmark the etymology and mythology Websites on student computers for use during Session One.
- Test the ReadWriteThink Bio-Cube tool on your computers. Ensure that you have the proper Flash plug-in installed. You can download the plug-in from the technical support page.