ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, videos, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Teaching Language Skills Using the Phone Book
|Grades||3 – 5|
|Lesson Plan Type||Unit|
|Estimated Time||Thirteen 45-minute sessions|
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
- Multiple copies of the local phone book
- Student phone numbers (if available)
Grades K – 12 | Student Interactive | Organizing & Summarizing
This interactive tool allows students to create Venn diagrams that contain two or three overlapping circles, enabling them to organize their information logically.
- Phone Book Activity
- Phone Book Activity: What Does Your Phone Book Include?
- Using the Phone Book: What is in a Phone Book?
- Using the Phone Book: Alphabetical Order
- Phone Book Activity: Alphabetical Order II
- Using the Phone Book: Spelling Variations
- Using the Phone Book: The Yellow Pages and the White Pages
- Using the Phone Book: Exploring the Yellow Pages
- Phone Book Activity: Emergency Resources
- Phone Book Activity: Time Zones and Area Codes
- Make copies of student information.
- Make copies of student activity sheets.
- Gather sample Table of Contents
- Gather sample White Pages
- Gather sample Yellow Pages