ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Teaching Science Through Picture Books: A Rainforest Lesson
|Grades||3 – 5|
|Lesson Plan Type||Standard Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Five 45-minute sessions|
Palm Harbor, Florida
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
- One copy of Welcome to the Green House by Jane Yolen (The Putnam and Grosset Group, 1997) for every group of 4 students
- One sheet of chart paper for every group of 4 students; 3 sheets of chart paper for the teacher
- Cassette tape of rainforest sound effects
- Crayons and pencils
- Markers to write on chart paper
- Wall map or globe
- Writing and drawing paper
- Tropical Rain Forest Wildlife
- Temperate Rain Forests
- Tropical Rain Forests
- Zoom Rainforest
- What's It Like Where You Live?