ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Put That on the List: Independently Writing a Catalog Poem
|Grades||9 – 12|
|Lesson Plan Type||Standard Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Two 50-minute sessions|
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
Copies of “The Car” from All Of Us: The Collected Poems by Raymond Carver (The Harvill Press, 1996)
Grades K – 12 | Student Interactive | Writing & Publishing Prose
The interactive Printing Press is designed to assist students in creating newspapers, brochures, and flyers.
- The International Raymond Carver Society
- Audio Interviews with Raymond Carver
- Prose as Architecture: Two Interviews with Raymond Carver
- Something Beautiful: Reading Picture Books, Writing Poetry
- If students are unfamiliar with catalog poems, complete the ReadWriteThink lesson Put That on the List: Collaboratively Writing a Catalog Poem to introduce the genre before asking students to write the poems independently.
- Obtain copies of Raymond Carver’s poem “The Car,” which appear in his book All of Us: The Collected Poems (NY: Vintage Contemporaries, 2000).
- Familiarize yourself with biographical information on Raymond Carver in order to talk about the poem as a reflection of the poet’s life. Information can be found at the Websites listed in the Resources section, as well as Chapter One “Where Life and Art Intersect” in Raymond Carver in the Classroom “A Small, Good Thing” by Susanne Rubenstein (NCTE, 2005).
- Make copies or overhead transparencies of the Checklist, Reflection Sheet, and the student-written catalog poems “The Cat ” and “The Pole.”
- Test the ReadWriteThink Printing Press on your computers to familiarize yourself with the tool and ensure that you have the Flash plug-in installed. You can download the plug-in from the technical support page.