ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Timelines and Texts: Motivating Students to Read Nonfiction
|Grades||6 – 8|
|Lesson Plan Type||Standard Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Five 45-minute sessions|
Arlington Heights, Illinois
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
- Computers with Internet access
- Invention Birthdays: A Think-Pair-Share Activity
- Background Information About Inventions
- Timeline Answer Key
- Previewing the Website: The Great Idea Finder
- Possible Responses and Points of Discussion for Previewing the Website: The Great Idea Finder
- About.com—Famous Inventions: A to Z
- The Great Idea Finder—Chronological Innovation Timeline
- HistoryChannel.com—Timeline of Toys and Games
- Smithsonian Institution: American History Timeline
|1.||Determine student accessibility to workstations with Internet access and/or secure the use of a presentation system connected to a computer with Internet access.
|2.||Preview and bookmark the recommended Websites listed above.
|3.||Duplicate the Invention Birthdays handout so that each student has a copy.