ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, videos, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Travel Brochures: Highlighting the Setting of a Story
|Grades||6 – 8|
|Lesson Plan Type||Standard Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Five 50-minute sessions|
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
- An assortment of travel brochures
- Various reference materials, print and online
Grades K – 12 | Student Interactive | Writing & Publishing Prose
The interactive Printing Press is designed to assist students in creating newspapers, brochures, and flyers.
- Things to Include in a Travel Brochure
- Travel Brochure Rubric
- Recording the Setting Bookmark
- Example Brochure Bookmark
- Example Research Notes
- Example Setting Brochure
- Persuasion Map Planning Sheet
- Collect travel brochures from travel agents, your local chamber of commerce or convention and visitors bureau, and other sources.
- Make appropriate copies of the handouts for students: Things to Include in a Travel Brochure handout, Example Research Notes, Travel Brochure Rubric, Recording the Setting Bookmark.
- Have a copy of the Example Bookmark, Example Research Notes, and Example Setting Brochure to share with the students.
- Test the Printing Press on your computers to familiarize yourself with the tools and ensure that you have the Flash plug-in installed. You can download the plug-in from the technical support page.