ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, videos, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Using Microblogging and Social Networking to Explore Characterization and Style
|Grades||9 – 12|
|Lesson Plan Type||Standard Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Five 50-minute sessions, plus time for interacting on the online social networks|
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
- Computer lab or classroom set of laptops
- Computer with projection equipment
- Historical Tweets PowerPoint Presentation
- Copies of Emma by Jane Austen or another book from the Other Novels of Manners booklist
- Access to Twitter.com and/or Ning.com
- Sign up for Twitter and practice sending a few historical tweets.
- Familiarize yourself with the Jane Austen Style Sheet and add any additional stylistic elements or examples as you see fit.
- Familiarize yourself with the definitions of pastiche and novel of manners.
- Set up the class Ning before Session Four.
- Duplicate any handouts required.
- Arrange for computer access during the appropriate sessions.