ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, videos, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Using Snowflake Bentley as a Framing Text for Multigenre Writing
|Grades||3 – 5|
|Lesson Plan Type||Standard Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Six 50-minute sessions|
Grades 3 – 10 | Student Interactive | Writing & Publishing Prose
This interactive invites students to create original multigenre, multimodal works--one drawing and three written texts--making the tool flexible for multiple writing activities.
- Books About Weather booklist
- Reading Log
- Multigenre Texts booklist
- Possible Genres handout
- Winter Topics handout
- Multigenre Map example
- Multigenre Map sample layout
- Multigenre Mapper Planning Sheet
- Multigenre Self-Assessment
- Smithsonian Photography Initiative
This site includes a story by Professor of Physics Kenneth Libbrecht on how “Snowflake” Bentley’s photographs transformed public perception and then became cultural icons.
- Snowflake Bentley Photographs
Included on this site are copyright free Snowflake Bentley photographs available in high resolution available on the Smithsonian Flickr Commons.
- Craft Templates
Here, teachers and students can find free craft templates for snowflakes made using Bentley's photographs.
- Collect books from the Books About Weather booklist and the Multigenre Texts booklist.
- Make copies of the Reading Log, Possible Genres handout, Possible Winter Topics handout, and Multigenre Mapper Planning Sheet.
- If desired, make an overhead transparency of the Multigenre Mapper Layout.
- Create an example of a multigenre piece, or use the example.
- Test the Multigenre Mapper on your computers to familiarize yourself with the tools and ensure that you have the Flash plug-in installed. You can download the plug-in from the technical support page.