ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Varying Views of America
|Grades||9 – 12|
|Lesson Plan Type||Standard Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Two 50-minute sessions|
Narragansett, Rhode Island
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
- Copies of the poems "I Hear America Singing," "I, Too, Sing America," and "On the Pulse of The Morning."
- Internet access
- Varying Views of America Student Interactive (optional instead of graphic organizer printout)
Grades K – 12 | Student Interactive | Organizing & Summarizing
This interactive tool allows students to create Venn diagrams that contain two or three overlapping circles, enabling them to organize their information logically.
- Varying Views of America analysis and response assignment
- Varying Views of America graphic organizer (optional instead of Venn diagram interactive)
- Varying Views of America Rubric
- Make copies of the analysis and response assignment, the Varying Views of America Rubric, and, if desired, the Varying Views of America graphic organizer.
- Arrange for access to the three poems. See the Resources section for links to the poems online. The poems are also anthologized in some literature texts. If students do not have Internet access, arrange for copies of the poems.
- Test the Varying Views of America Student Interactive on your computers to familiarize yourself with the Venn diagram tool and ensure that you have the Flash plug-in installed. You can download the plug-in from the technical support page.