ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Voting! What’s It All About?
|Grades||3 – 5|
|Lesson Plan Type||Unit|
|Estimated Time||Eight 50-minute sessions|
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
- Sticky notes
- Writing paper
- Chart paper and white butcher paper
- Daily newspaper
- News magazines
- Wall space
- Large basket (optional)
- Voting and Election Book List
Grades K – 12 | Student Interactive | Organizing & Summarizing
Students generate descriptive timelines and can include images in the description.
Grades 3 – 12 | Student Interactive | Organizing & Summarizing
The Persuasion Map is an interactive graphic organizer that enables students to map out their arguments for a persuasive essay or debate.
- Collect a set of books for read-aloud and student reading. Suggested titles are available on the Voting and Election Book List.
- Explore background information on creating graffiti walls.
- So the students understand their goal, create a graffiti-wall mural on another topic for students to use as an example. Your example can focus on a recent unit of study or a completed book.
- Select a few appropriate newspaper or magazine articles about voting to get student groups started.
- Get a local/national newspaper subscription for the classroom (optional).
- Make copies of the Fact-Opinion Writing Rubric if you plan to use it as part of your assessment of this lesson.
- Arrange for appropriate technology resources for the sessions you or the students will be doing work on the Internet.
- Bookmark the Election Websites page for student use.
- Test the Persuasion Map and Timeline Tool on your computers to familiarize yourself with the tools and ensure that you have the Flash plug-in installed. You can download the plug-in from the technical support page.