ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, videos, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
The Wonder of Leo Lionni: Increasing Comprehension with Prediction Statements
|Grades||K – 2|
|Lesson Plan Type||Standard Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Four 50-minute sessions|
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
Grades K – 12 | Student Interactive | Writing & Publishing Prose
The Stapleless Book can be used for taking notes while reading, making picture books, collecting facts, or creating vocabulary booklets . . . the possibilities are endless!
Grades K – 12 | Mobile App | Writing & Publishing Prose
The Stapleless Book app is designed to allow users to create with ease an eight-page book simply by folding and cutting. Students can choose from several different layouts for the pages of their books.
- Gather several copies and titles by Leo Lionni from the booklist or other suggested titles, which include Swimmy (1963), A Flea Story (1977), A Color of His Own (1975), Frederick (1967), Fish is Fish (1970), It's Mine! (1985), The Biggest House in the World! (1968), Tillie and the Wall (1989), Alexander and the Wind-Up Mouse (1969), Little Blue and Little Yellow (1959), Matthew's Dream (1991), Mr. McMouse (1992), Feathers for Lunch (1990), and A Busy Year (1992).
- Preview the Leo Lionni books you have selected, and mark three pages spread out within the book for students to stop at and write a wonder statement. Use the Stop and Wonder Bookmarks to mark the pages for the students.
- Divide the class into groups for guided reading (leveled or mixed reading ability).
- Copy "I Wonder" Worksheet, Wonder Statement Directions, and Stop and Wonder Bookmarks.
- Test the Stapleless Book on your computers to familiarize yourself with the tools and ensure that you have the Flash plug-in installed. You can download the plug-in from the technical support page.
- Print Stapleless Books for students with "I wonder" on the first page and room for a picture on the opposite page and make copies. This where students will record their wonder statements.