ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, videos, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Word Wizards: Students Making Words
|Grades||K – 2|
|Lesson Plan Type||Minilesson|
|Estimated Time||30 minutes per session|
Black Diamond, Washington
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
- Computers with Internet access
- Word Wizard by Cathryn Falwell (Clarion Books, 1998)
- One or more of the following picture books:
Corduroy by Don Freeman (Viking Press, 1968)
Franklin in the Dark by Paulette Bourgeois (Scholastic, 1986)
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle (Philomel, 1994)
Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes (Greenwillow Books, 1991)
- Letter tiles or squares for students (lowercase letters)
- Overhead alphabet tiles (lowercase letters) and overhead projector
- Student journal or notebook
Grades K – 2 | Student Interactive | Learning About Language
Word Wizard uses themes from four popular U.S. children's books to create word puzzles that students solve by unscrambling letters and considering related clues.