ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
My World of Words: Building Vocabulary Lists
|Grades||3 – 5|
|Lesson Plan Type||Recurring Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Three 45-minute sessions, with additional time for class discussion of word choices|
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
- A selection of print resources (e.g., books, magazines, and pictures with captions that students may find interesting)
- Chart paper or blackboard
- Computers with Internet access (preferred but optional)
- Dictionary, thesaurus, encyclopedias
- Merriam-Webster Online
- OneLook Dictionary
- Online Thesaurus
- Online Dictionary
- National Geographic Explorer
- ReadWriteThink's Web Resources Gallery
- Little Explorers Picture Dictionary
|1.||Print copies of Words I Want to Learn More About and My World of Words Journal handouts for each student.
|2.||Preview National Geographic Explorer to identify pertinent content for students.
|3.||Gather print resources.
|4.||Schedule computer lab time, if necessary.|