ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, videos, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
The Year I Was Born: An Autobiographical Research Project
|Grades||9 – 12|
|Lesson Plan Type||Standard Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Five 50-minute sessions|
Yankton, South Dakota
Grades K – 12 | Student Interactive | Writing & Publishing Prose
The interactive Printing Press is designed to assist students in creating newspapers, brochures, and flyers.
- Form For Gathering Research Information
- Writing Rubric
- Short Model
- Links to Websites
- Research Project: The Year I was Born
- Make copies or overhead transparencies of all handouts students will need: Year I Was Born Research Project, Links to Websites handout, Sample Paper, Research Form, Self-Reflection questions, and Research Paper Rubric. Alternatively, arrange to project the handouts using an LCD Projector.
- Arrange for Internet access for students, so they can complete the online research and publish their work.
- Test the Printing Press on your computers to familiarize yourself with the tools and ensure that you have the Flash plug-in installed. You can download the plug-in from the technical support page.