ReadWriteThink has a variety of resources for out-of-school use. Visit our Parent & Afterschool Resources section to learn more.
Download the plug-in tools you need to use our games and tools, or check to see if you've got the latest version.
Book Cover Creator
|Grades||K – 8|
Why Use This Tool
The Book Cover Creator allows users to type and illustrate front and back covers, and full dust jackets. Children can use the tool to create new covers for books that they read as well as to create covers for books they write on their own or with family and friends.
A variety of templates allow users to create just a book's front cover, front and back cover, or a full dust jacket. There are text tools to add formatting to titles and book notes, the ability to add shading to background areas of the cover, or draw original images to illustrate covers and dust jackets. Since this is an online tool, there are also Book Cover Planning Sheets, printable PDFs that children can use to draft and revise their work before creating and printing their final book covers or dust jackets. The sample book cover shows a simple front and back cover.
- Learn about the parts and pieces of book covers and dust jackets using the Book Cover Guide, which doubles as an example to share with children.
- Recreate the cover of a favorite book.
- Design a new book cover or dust jacket after reading or listening to a book.
- Make a dust jacket or book cover after writing an original story.
- Use this tool to keep track of the number of books read during the summer or during the school year by making a book cover for each completed text.
We invite you to share your experiences with this resource and provide us with any feedback on how it can be improved.