ReadWriteThink has a variety of resources for out-of-school use. Visit our Parent & Afterschool Resources section to learn more.
Episode 71 — Guided by Teen Book Awards
|Grades||6 – 12|
|Podcast Series||Text Messages: Recommendations for Adolescent Readers
See all episodes in this series
|Original Air Date||Published March 19, 2014|
Music in this podcast is courtesy of Scott Andrew.
Teen book awards provide an annual guide for readers in search of quality young adult literature reading recommendations. In her sixth annual celebration of the year’s most distinguished books for teens, Jennifer introduces her personal favorites. Tune in to hear about coming of age novels, works of original historical research, and tributes to the pleasures of cooking, the power of graphic design, and the comforts of poetry.
After listening to this episode, be sure to print out this list of recommended titles to take to the library or book seller.
Books featured in this episode:
- Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell (St. Martin’s Griffin, 2013)
- The Living by Matt de la Peña (Delacorte, 2013)
- Sex and Violence by Carrie Mesrobian (Carolrhoda Lab, 2013)
- Boxers and Saints by Gene Luen Yang (First Second, 2013)
- March: Book One by John Lewis and Andrew Aydin (Top Shelf, 2013)
- Imprisoned: The Betrayal of Japanese Americans During World War II by Martin Sandler (Walker, 2013)
- Relish: My Life in the Kitchen by Lucy Knisley (First Second, 2013)
- Go: A Kidd's Guide to Graphic Design by Chip Kidd (Workman, 2013)
- What the Heart Knows: Chants, Charms, and Blessings by Joyce Sidman (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2013)