Episode 21 — Introducing the Amelia Elizabeth Walden Award
|Grades||6 – 12|
|Podcast Series||Text Messages: Recommendations for Adolescent Readers
See all episodes in this series
|Original Air Date||Published December 01, 2009|
Music in this podcast is courtesy of Scott Andrew.
Tune in to hear about a brand-new teen book award designed to honor a Young Adult novel published in the previous year that demonstrates literary excellence, widespread teen appeal, and a positive approach to life. Jennifer will introduce the five finalists for the first annual Amelia Elizabeth Walden Award, and committee chair Daria Plumb will share insights about the committee’s work and this year's winning title.
After listening to this episode, be sure to print out this list of recommended titles to take to the library or book seller.
Recommendations in this episode include
- After Tupac and D Foster by Jacqueline Woodson (Putnam, 2008)
- Graceling by Kristin Cashore (Harcourt, 2008)
- The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (HarperCollins, 2008)
- Me, the Missing, and the Dead by Jenny Valentine (HarperCollins, 2008)
- My Most Excellent Year: A Novel of Love, Mary Poppins & Fenway Park by Steve Kluger (Dial, 2008)