ReadWriteThink has a variety of resources for out-of-school use. Visit our Parent & Afterschool Resources section to learn more.
Episode 50 — Smart Romance
|Grades||6 – 12|
|Podcast Series||Text Messages: Recommendations for Adolescent Readers
See all episodes in this series
|Original Air Date||Published May 29, 2012|
Music in this podcast is courtesy of Scott Andrew.
In the world of literature, stories of romance tend to get a bad rap. While many romance novels are formulaic and predictable, works of smart romance will engage readers' emotions and their minds. Tune in to hear about an array of recently-published smart romance titles that feature male as well as female narrators, gay as well as straight relationships, and stories of love unfolding in a variety of circumstances.
After listening to this episode, be sure to print out this list of recommended titles to take to the library or book seller.
Books featured in this episode:
- The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (Dutton, 2012)
- Stay with Me by Paul Griffin (Dial, 2011)
- Girl Meets Boy edited by Kelly Milner Halls (Chronicle, 2012)
- The Disenchantments by Nina LaCour (Dutton, 2012)
- The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith (Poppy, 2012)
- The Difference Between You and Me by Madeleine George (Viking, 2012)
- Pink by Lili Wilkinson (HarperTeen, 2011)
- There Is No Dog by Meg Rosoff (Putnam, 2012)
- This is All by Aidan Chambers (Amulet, 2006)