Verizon Thinkfinity offers thousands of free K-12 educational resources across seven disciplines for use in and out of school.
Home › Results from ReadWriteThink
1-10 of 15 Results from ReadWriteThink
page | 1 2
- Professional Development | Grades K – 6 | Professional Library | Journal
Acting Out: Literature, Drama, and Connecting With History
This article describes a successful teacher-professor collaboration to plan interdisciplinary curriculum and team-teach it in a first-grade classroom.
- Classroom Resources | Grades K – 12 | Calendar Activity |  September 7
Celebrate International Literacy Day!
Students spend the day participating in a readathon, kicking off a cross-grade reading buddy program, or making original books to share with community members.
- Professional Development | Grades K – 5 | Strategy Guide
During choral reading, students read together orally. Repeated, supported reading helps students read with greater expression and read unfamiliar words with greater ease.
- Professional Development | Grades 2 – 7 | Professional Library | Book
Creating Lifelong Readers Through Independent Reading
This book provides information on the benefits of independent reading, how to set up a classroom library, and ways to actively engage students in independent reading.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 2 – 4 | Lesson Plan | Standard Lesson
Exploring the Subtext Strategy: Thinking Beyond the Text
What is it like to have a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day? Students find out in this lesson in which they “become” the characters in Judith Viorst’s book.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 2 – 5 | Lesson Plan | Unit
History Comes Alive: Developing Fluency and Comprehension Using Social Studies
Let the power of imagination and inference serve as a “time machine” to bring Benjamin Franklin into the classroom! History and science come to life in a dialogue with Franklin the inventor, developed through lesson activities that incorporate research, imagination, writing, visual arts, and drama.
- Classroom Resources | Grades K – 2 | Lesson Plan | Standard Lesson
Improving Fluency through Group Literary Performance
Students participate in shared reading, choral reading, and readers theater, using books by Bill Martin, Jr. Repeated readings and literary performances help students with their reading accuracy, expression, and rate.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 1 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  April 23
In 1564, William Shakespeare was born on this day.
Based on grade level, students learn about rhyming structure, experiment with the Shakespearean Insult Kit, or study scenes from Othello and watch an adaptation of that scene from the movie O.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 1 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  September 5
In 1952, Paul Fleischman was born on this day.
Some of Fleishman's memories in his essay "My House of Voices" are shared with the class. Students then write a descriptive essay that gives a tour of the voices in their homes, school, etc.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 1 – 5 | Calendar Activity |  February 11
Jane Yolen was born in 1939.
Students read one of Jane Yolen's books, retell the story in the form of a puppet show, research animals in the book, and document their findings with the Animal Study interactive tool.
page | 1 2