Find content from Thinkfinity Partners using a visual bookmarking and sharing tool.
Home › Results from ReadWriteThink
1-10 of 46 Results from ReadWriteThink
- Professional Development | November 19–22, 2015
2015 NCTE Annual Convention
Sessions at the annual convention with share practices and insights—from traditional and practical to innovative and speculative—that help language arts teachers, pre-K through grad school, approach teaching and learning more expertly, confidently, even joyfully.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 3 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  February 20
Actor Sidney Poitier was born in 1924.
Students do a journal entry about barriers that have been brokensuch as age, race, and genderthat might impede them in the future, and how they can break through those barriers.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 3 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  January 1
Annie Moore becomes the first immigrant to enter Ellis Island in 1892.
Students explore online resources about Ellis Island, interview an immigrant in the area, and publish their stories.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 9 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  May 1
Asian Pacific American Heritage Month is in May!
Students consider the portrayal of Asians in popular culture by exploring images from classic and contemporary films and comparing them to historical and cultural reference materials.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 9 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  February 9
Author Alice Walker was born on February 9, 1944.
After students read the novel The Color Purple, dialect is discussed and students write a short piece of fiction or poetry using the dialect of their peer group.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 3 – 10 | Calendar Activity |  December 19
Author Eve Bunting was born in Ireland in 1928.
Students listen to a news article about the LA race riots and then read Smoky Night to discuss how a younger observer might be affected by these events and their perceptions.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 8 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  February 9
Author Matt de la Peña was born today.
Students use an essay by de la Peña as a model for writing their own literacy autobiography.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 9 – 12 | Lesson Plan | Unit
Behind the Masks: Exploring Culture Through Art and Poetry
Students research mask-making from various cultures, highlight the masks’ connections to cultural practices, compose poetry to reveal their understanding, analyze their own culture, and create personal masks and poetry.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 1 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  October 17
Black Poetry Day is celebrated.
Books and webpages are gathered that focus on the work of African American poets and students explore the resources and find a poem to contribute to a poetry reading.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 6 – 10 | Lesson Plan | Standard Lesson
Blending the Past with Today’s Technology: Using Prezi to Prepare for Historical Fiction
To prepare for literature circles featuring historical novels, students research the decades of the 1930s to the 1990s and share their information using Prezi, a web application for creating multimedia presentations.