Verizon Thinkfinity offers thousands of free K-12 educational resources across seven disciplines for use in and out of school.
Home › Results from ReadWriteThink
1-8 of 8 Results from ReadWriteThink
- Classroom Resources | Grades 3 – 5 | Lesson Plan | Standard Lesson
A Race With Grace: Sports Poetry in Motion
In this lesson, athletics, aesthetics, and poetics intersect in new ways as developing literacy learners experiment together with the forms of language.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 4 – 7 | Lesson Plan | Standard Lesson
Boars and Baseball: Making Connections
In this lesson, students will make text-to-self, text-to-text, and text-to-world connections after reading In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson. After sharing and discussing connections, students choose and plan a project that makes a personal connection to the text.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 3 – 8 | Calendar Activity |  August 14
Ernest Thayer, author of the famous poem "Casey at the Bat," was born in 1863.
In small groups or individually, students make baseball cards for the players in the poem "Casey at the Bat." Students can use a word processor or the Character Trading Cards interactive to create their cards.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 3 – 6 | Lesson Plan | Recurring Lesson
Guided Comprehension: Previewing Using an Anticipation Guide
Based on the Guided Comprehension Model developed by Maureen McLaughlin and Mary Beth Allen, this lesson introduces students to the comprehension strategy of previewing.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 3 – 8 | Calendar Activity |  August 6
The first woman swam the English Channel in 1926.
Students brainstorm a list of famous athletic competitors and establish criteria for what makes an athlete "famous." Students then forecast which of today's athletes will still be remembered in 75 to 100 years.
- Classroom Resources | Grades K – 12 | Calendar Activity |  July 27
The Summer Olympics start today!
Students explore a variety of themes such as peace, culture, motion, sports, and competition using 2012 Summer Olympics games in London as the backdrop.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 3 – 12 | Student Interactive | Organizing & Summarizing
Trading Card Creator
This tool provides a fun and useful way to explore a variety of topics such as a character in a book, a person or place from history, or even a physical object. An excellent tool to for summarizing or as a prewriting exercise for original stories.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 3 – 12 | Mobile App
Word Mover allows children and teens to create “found poetry” by choosing from word banks and existing famous works; additionally, users can add new words to create a piece of poetry by moving/manipulating the text.