Find content from Thinkfinity Partners using a visual bookmarking and sharing tool.
Home õ Results from ReadWriteThink
1-10 of 24 Results from ReadWriteThink
- Classroom Resources | Grades 5 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  August 11
Alex Haley, author of Roots, was born in 1921.
Students explore their own roots by interviewing family members and use their family history to write a fictional account of their roots.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 3 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  August 30
Caldecott Medal-winner Virginia Lee Burton was born on this day in 1909.
Students discuss similarities in Burton's illustrations and writing style in her many books, in addition to her use of personification.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 3 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  August 25
Caldecott-winning illustrator Lane Smith was born in 1959.
Students discuss some of the ways in which illustrations can enhance a story and then become illustrators, using a variety of media.
- Classroom Resources | Grades K – 12 | Calendar Activity |  August 4
Celebrate John Vennís Birthday!
Students celebrate the birth of English logician, philosopher, and creator of the Venn Diagram by building community within the classroom by comparing and contrasting likes, dislikes, and characteristics about one another.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 7 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  August 17
Davy Crockett was born in 1786.
Students read selected excerpts from Crockett's biography and consider whether present-day politicians follow Crockett's advice.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 7 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  August 28
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. delivered his "I Have a Dream" speech in 1963.
Students explore the "I Have a Dream" Foundation's website and brainstorm ways they can help themselves or others at their school achieve their educational dreams.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 3 – 8 | Calendar Activity |  August 14
Ernest Thayer, author of the famous poem "Casey at the Bat," was born in 1863.
In small groups or individually, students make baseball cards for the players in the poem "Casey at the Bat." Students can use a word processor or the Character Trading Cards interactive to create their cards.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 9 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  August 5
French author Guy de Maupassant was born on this day in 1850.
Students read and then rewrite a de Maupassant short story, updating its vocabulary and setting to that of the 21st century.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 3 – 6 | Calendar Activity |  August 1
Get ready to go back to school!
Students share details about their lives with one another using the interactive Graphic Map and share their memories in small groups or with the whole class.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 7 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  August 15
In 1870, the U.S. Transcontinental Railroad was completed.
Students access the National Park Service website and look at the webpage "The Last Spikes." Students explore different accounts of what happened as the railroad neared completion and discuss the nature of ceremonies.