Verizon Thinkfinity offers thousands of free K-12 educational resources across seven disciplines for use in and out of school.
Home › Results from ReadWriteThink
1-10 of 27 Results from ReadWriteThink
- Classroom Resources | Grades 3 – 10 | Calendar Activity |  December 19
Author Eve Bunting was born in Ireland in 1928.
Students listen to a news article about the LA race riots and then read Smoky Night to discuss how a younger observer might be affected by these events and their perceptions.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 3 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  April 28
Author Lois Duncan was born on this date in 1934.
Mysteries are shared with students for them to solve and brainstorm the attributes of a good mystery. Small groups then compose short mysteries using the Mystery Cube.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 5 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  May 23
Author Scott O'Dell was born on this day.
Students select a set of books to read and compare fiction and nonfiction books and discuss their findings as a class. Students can follow up by writing short stories about the topics they explored.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 3 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  August 30
Caldecott Medal-winner Virginia Lee Burton was born on this day in 1909.
Students discuss similarities in Burton's illustrations and writing style in her many books, in addition to her use of personification.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 3 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  February 3
Celebrate Children's Authors and Illustrators Week
Students "step into the shoes" of their favorite author by reading several of their books, conducting research, and preparing displays and presentations for the class.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 3 – 6 | Calendar Activity |  March 25
Celebrate Kate DiCamillo's birthday today.
After examining the characters in one of DiCamillo's stories, students write original short stories featuring animals as central characters.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 3 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  April 27
Coretta Scott King was born on this day in 1927.
Students do a book report assignment based on a current or past winner of the Coretta Scott King Book Award.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 7 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  August 17
Davy Crockett was born in 1786.
Students read selected excerpts from Crockett's biography and consider whether present-day politicians follow Crockett's advice.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 7 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  September 30
Elie Wiesel was born on September 30, 1928.
Students compare and contrast two views of the Holocaust from different authors. Students may also research stories of other survivors who may or may not be published and create a presentation on this survivor.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 3 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  June 28
Esther Forbes, author of Johnny Tremain, was born in 1891.
Students explore the genre of historical fiction by writing original works and comparing all of the finished pieces.