Find content from Thinkfinity Partners using a visual bookmarking and sharing tool.
Home › Results from ReadWriteThink
1-10 of 39 Results from ReadWriteThink
- Classroom Resources | Grades 7 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  November 19
Abraham Lincoln delivered the Gettysburg Address in 1863.
Students practice the Pre-AP strategy called SOAPSTone, identifying important parts of the Gettysburg Address and comparing it with John F. Kennedy's inaugural speech.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 3 – 8 | Calendar Activity |  July 5
Annual fence-painting contests take place in Hannibal, Missouri.
A scene from one of Twain's works is chosen and students map the story setting using the Story Map. Setting is then discussed as a class.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 9 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  February 9
Author Alice Walker was born on February 9, 1944.
After students read the novel The Color Purple, dialect is discussed and students write a short piece of fiction or poetry using the dialect of their peer group.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 9 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  December 9
Author Joel Chandler Harris was born in 1848.
Students study how regional dialect is written phonetically by reading a segment of Harris' story, as well as two others, and compare them using the Interactive Venn Diagram.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 3 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  April 28
Author Lois Duncan was born on this date in 1934.
Mysteries are shared with students for them to solve and brainstorm the attributes of a good mystery. Small groups then compose short mysteries using the Mystery Cube.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 5 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  May 23
Author Scott O'Dell was born on this day.
Students select a set of books to read and compare fiction and nonfiction books and discuss their findings as a class. Students can follow up by writing short stories about the topics they explored.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 5 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  December 23
Avi was born in 1937.
After reading Nothing But the Truth, students explore a current event topic and write their own short work of fiction in a similar multigenre format.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 3 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  August 30
Caldecott Medal-winner Virginia Lee Burton was born on this day in 1909.
Students discuss similarities in Burton's illustrations and writing style in her many books, in addition to her use of personification.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 3 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  August 25
Caldecott-winning illustrator Lane Smith was born in 1959.
Students discuss some of the ways in which illustrations can enhance a story and then become illustrators, using a variety of media.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 3 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  April 27
Coretta Scott King was born on this day in 1927.
Students do a book report assignment based on a current or past winner of the Coretta Scott King Book Award.