Verizon Thinkfinity offers thousands of free K-12 educational resources across seven disciplines for use in and out of school.
Home › Results from ReadWriteThink
1-10 of 26 Results from ReadWriteThink
- Classroom Resources | Grades 3 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  February 20
Actor Sidney Poitier was born in 1924.
Students do a journal entry about barriers that have been brokensuch as age, race, and genderthat might impede them in the future, and how they can break through those barriers.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 3 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  January 1
Annie Moore becomes the first immigrant to enter Ellis Island in 1892.
Students explore online resources about Ellis Island, interview an immigrant in the area, and publish their stories.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 9 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  May 1
Asian Pacific American Heritage Month is in May!
Students consider the portrayal of Asians in popular culture by exploring images from classic and contemporary films and comparing them to historical and cultural reference materials.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 9 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  February 9
Author Alice Walker was born on February 9, 1944.
After students read the novel The Color Purple, dialect is discussed and students write a short piece of fiction or poetry using the dialect of their peer group.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 3 – 10 | Calendar Activity |  December 19
Author Eve Bunting was born in Ireland in 1928.
Students listen to a news article about the LA race riots and then read Smoky Night to discuss how a younger observer might be affected by these events and their perceptions.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 1 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  October 17
Black Poetry Day is celebrated.
Books and webpages are gathered that focus on the work of African American poets and students explore the resources and find a poem to contribute to a poetry reading.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 3 – 8 | Calendar Activity |  April 30
Celebrate El Día de Los Niños/El Día de Los Libros (Children's Day/Book Day)!
Using the Book Cover Creator, students write and share their own multilingual stories.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 9 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  September 23
Central High School in Little Rock, Arkansas, was integrated in 1957.
After viewing some footage from the actual event, students jot down thoughts and feelings of the Little Rock Nine. Students then write a bio-poem that might have been written by one of these students on this historic day.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 7 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  March 31
César Chávez was born on this day in 1927.
Students work in small groups to research a civil rights leader and do a creative writing piece, followed by a short story, with their group.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 5 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  October 8
Faith Ringgold was born on October 8, 1930.
Students use Ringgold's books as a springboard for a discussion of race, gender, and civil rights, and then write and illustrate original picture books on these topics.