Find content from Thinkfinity Partners using a visual bookmarking and sharing tool.
Home › Results from ReadWriteThink
1-10 of 29 Results from ReadWriteThink
- Classroom Resources | Grades 3 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  February 20
Actor Sidney Poitier was born in 1924.
Students do a journal entry about barriers that have been brokensuch as age, race, and genderthat might impede them in the future, and how they can break through those barriers.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 7 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  July 16
African American journalist Ida B. Wells was born in 1862.
Students brainstorm a list of human rights issues, research their group's issue in depth, examine the way journalists cover a story, and create articles for a classroom newspaper.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 5 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  December 15
Bill of Rights Day is observed.
Students identify a students' rights issue and explore the ways in which the Bill of Rights does protect and does not protect students.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 3 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  March 30
Black Beauty author Anna Sewell was born in 1820.
Through Sewell's novel, students explore the cruelty to animals and extend the discussion to current events, eventually presenting the information.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 4 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  July 18
Celebrate Mandela Day today.
After reading Kadir Nelson's Nelson Mandela, students explore the Mandela Day website before using an online tool to start working on a service project of their own.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 3 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  May 20
Charles Lindbergh began his transatlantic flight in 1927.
Students consider what is meant by the phrase "Human Hero," think of people who fit into the category, and read a biography of a selected hero.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 7 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  March 31
César Chávez was born on this day in 1927.
Students work in small groups to research a civil rights leader and do a creative writing piece, followed by a short story, with their group.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 7 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  August 28
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. delivered his "I Have a Dream" speech in 1963.
Students explore the "I Have a Dream" Foundation's website and brainstorm ways they can help themselves or others at their school achieve their educational dreams.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 5 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  October 8
Faith Ringgold was born on October 8, 1930.
Students use Ringgold's books as a springboard for a discussion of race, gender, and civil rights, and then write and illustrate original picture books on these topics.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 9 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  December 3
Frederick Douglass began publication of The North Star today in 1847.
Students read and discuss an editorial written by Frederick Douglass and then write the opening editorial for a contemporary publication devoted to a social cause important to them.