Verizon Thinkfinity offers thousands of free K-12 educational resources across seven disciplines for use in and out of school.
Home › Results from ReadWriteThink
1-5 of 5 Results from ReadWriteThink
- Classroom Resources | Grades 3 – 8 | Calendar Activity |  August 14
Ernest Thayer, author of the famous poem "Casey at the Bat," was born in 1863.
In small groups or individually, students make baseball cards for the players in the poem "Casey at the Bat." Students can use a word processor or the Character Trading Cards interactive to create their cards.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 7 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  January 31
Jackie Robinson was born on this day in 1919.
Students read messages sent to the White House from Jackie Robinson and discuss his role as an athlete and a civil rights activist, as well as the role of athletes in society.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 5 – 8 | Calendar Activity |  November 6
James Naismith, inventor of the game of basketball, was born in 1861.
Students look at Naismith's original 13 rules for basketball and write about the rules and how they have changed in small groups.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 3 – 8 | Calendar Activity |  August 6
The first woman swam the English Channel in 1926.
Students brainstorm a list of famous athletic competitors and establish criteria for what makes an athlete "famous." Students then forecast which of today's athletes will still be remembered in 75 to 100 years.
- Classroom Resources | Grades K – 12 | Calendar Activity |  February 7
The Winter Olympics begin today!
Students explore a variety of themes such as peace, culture, motion, sports, and competition, using the 2014 Winter Olympics games in Sochi as the backdrop.