Verizon Thinkfinity offers thousands of free K-12 educational resources across seven disciplines for use in and out of school.
Home › Results from ReadWriteThink
1-10 of 66 Results from ReadWriteThink
- Classroom Resources | Grades 3 – 8 | Calendar Activity |  July 5
Annual fence-painting contests take place in Hannibal, Missouri.
A scene from one of Twain's works is chosen and students map the story setting using the Story Map. Setting is then discussed as a class.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 9 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  February 9
Author Alice Walker was born on February 9, 1944.
After students read the novel The Color Purple, dialect is discussed and students write a short piece of fiction or poetry using the dialect of their peer group.
- Classroom Resources | Grades K – 5 | Calendar Activity |  July 11
Author E.B. White was born on this day in 1899.
Author E.B. White, most well-known for his famous children's book, Charlotte's Web, received high acclaim and awards for many of his works of fiction.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 9 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  December 9
Author Joel Chandler Harris was born in 1848.
Students study how regional dialect is written phonetically by reading a segment of Harris' story, as well as two others, and compare them using the Interactive Venn Diagram.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 3 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  April 28
Author Lois Duncan was born on this date in 1934.
Mysteries are shared with students for them to solve and brainstorm the attributes of a good mystery. Small groups then compose short mysteries using the Mystery Cube.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 5 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  May 23
Author Scott O'Dell was born on this day.
Students select a set of books to read and compare fiction and nonfiction books and discuss their findings as a class. Students can follow up by writing short stories about the topics they explored.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 9 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  October 1
Author Tim O’Brien was born on this day.
After reading O’Brien’s story “A True War Story” from The Things They Carried, students choose a powerful event from their own lives and map it using the Timeline Tool. They then create a fictional version of this event.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 5 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  December 23
Avi was born in 1937.
After reading Nothing But the Truth, students explore a current event topic and write their own short work of fiction in a similar multigenre format.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 1 – 6 | Calendar Activity |  April 21
Barbara Park, author of the Junie B. Jones series, was born on this day.
Students write their own "Junie B." stories, based on the Junie B. Jones series, after brainstorming issues they've experienced during the school year.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 3 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  March 15
Beware the Ides of March!
Students discuss and categorize superstitions, define a superstition, and compare the similarities and difference between proverbs and superstitions.