Read for My Summer
Beat the summer heat with engaging activities from ReadWriteThink.org.
Home › Results from ReadWriteThink
1-10 of 27 Results from ReadWriteThink
- Professional Development | Grades 3 – 5 | Professional Library | Journal
Acting Out: Literature, Drama, and Connecting With History
The article includes recommendations for teachers interested in integrating literature, drama, and history.
- Professional Development | Grade K | Professional Library | Book
Building a Foundation for Preschool Literacy: Effective Instruction for Children’s Reading and Writing Development (Second Edition)
This book focuses on best practices for providing preschoolers with early literacy instruction.
- Professional Development | Grades 3 – 8 | Professional Library | Journal
Cold Plums and the Old Men in the Water: Let Children Read and Write "Great" Poetry
The author of this article advocates using "great" poetry with children, and providing the link between the reading and writing of poetry.
- Professional Development | Grades 2 – 7 | Professional Library | Book
Creating Lifelong Readers Through Independent Reading
This book provides information on the benefits of independent reading, how to set up a classroom library, and ways to actively engage students in independent reading.
- Professional Development | Grades 9 – 12 | Professional Library | Journal
Critical Literacies and Graphic Novels for English-Language Learners: Teaching Maus
Particularly for English-language learners, graphic novels can be used in the secondary classroom as part of a multiliteracies approach.
- Professional Development | Grades 2 – 5 | Professional Library | Journal
Digital Readers: The Next Chapter in E-Book Reading and Response
This article discusses the use of digital e-book readers in the classroom.
- Professional Development | Grades 3 – 12 | Professional Library | Book
Finding the Artist Within: Creating and Reading Visual Texts in the English Language Arts Classroom
Discover ways to integrate visual arts and technology in your English language arts classroom.
- Professional Development | Grades 7 – 12 | Professional Library | Journal
Graphic Novels in the Secondary Classroom and School Libraries
This article examines the rise in popularity of graphic novels, the sales of which have steadily increased as their influence expands into adolescent culture.
- Professional Development | Grades K – 12 | Professional Library | Position Statement
Guideline on The Students' Right to Read
The current edition of The Students' Right to Read is an adaptation and updating of the original Council statement, including "Citizen's Request for Reconsideration of a Work."
- Professional Development | Grades 3 – 8 | Professional Library | Book
Happily Ever After: Sharing Folk Literature With Elementary and Middle School Students
This unique text provides background about folk literature and how to use this rich genre in your classroom.