Home › Results from ReadWriteThink
1-9 of 9 Results from ReadWriteThink
- Classroom Resources | Grades 3 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  May 20
Charles Lindbergh began his transatlantic flight in 1927.
Students consider what is meant by the phrase "Human Hero," think of people who fit into the category, and read a biography of a selected hero.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 3 – 6 | Calendar Activity |  December 17
The Wright brothers made their phenomenal flight!
Students celebrate the Wright brothers' flight in 1903 by having a classroom celebration that includes a multimedia timeline and comparisons of the Wright Flyer to the planes we have today.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 3 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  January 11
Amelia Earhart completed her solo flight from Honolulu to Oakland in 1935.
Students explore the definition of a hero and use the interactive Venn diagram to identify the most common characteristics of a hero.
- Parent & Afterschool Resources | Grades K – 5 | Podcast Episode
Take flight with Emily as she highlights books about historical figures in aviation and chats with Candace Fleming, author of Amelia Lost: The Life and Disappearance of Amelia Earhart.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 3 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  January 28
The Space Shuttle Challenger exploded in 1986.
Students interview a parent or another adult about the Challenger and hypothesize about differences. Students can also write about the Columbia disaster in 2003.
- Parent & Afterschool Resources | Podcast Series
Chatting About Books: Recommendations for Young Readers
Emily Manning chats with kids, parents, and teachers about the best in children’s literature for ages 4 through 11. Discussions include reading tips and fun activities to do with children before, during, and after reading.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 9 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  February 27
In 1902, John Steinbeck was born.
Students brainstorm a list of the ills of society, research a topic of their choosing, and then prepare an annotated bibliography of texts that address the topic.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 3 – 5 | Lesson Plan | Standard Lesson
Biographies: Creating Timelines of a Life
In this lesson students explore a number of sources to create a biographical timeline about a selected person. Students collaboratively research and resolve conflicting information they find during their investigation.
- Classroom Resources | Grades K – 2 | Lesson Plan | Standard Lesson
Learning About Word Families with Click, Clack, Moo
Using text from Doreen Cronin’s Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type as shared readings, first-grade students learn word families and how to decode new words in a word family.