Home › Results from ReadWriteThink
1-10 of 303 Results from ReadWriteThink
- Classroom Resources | Grades K – 12 | Calendar Activity |  April 1
April is National Poetry Month!
Students are assigned to be "poets of the day" and are provided several models to create, illustrate, and present their different poems to the class.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 3 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  March 21
Today is World Poetry Day.
Students read and respond to Billy Collins' poem "Introduction to Poetry." Students then write about a favorite poem and imagine the perfect way to read it.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 1 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  October 17
Black Poetry Day is celebrated.
Books and webpages are gathered that focus on the work of African American poets and students explore the resources and find a poem to contribute to a poetry reading.
- Parent & Afterschool Resources | Grades K – 5 | Podcast Episode
Playful Poetry Books to Share
In this episode, Emily and guest Sylvia Vardell explore fun ways to read poetry with children.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 6 – 8 | Lesson Plan | Standard Lesson
What is Poetry? Contrasting Poetry and Prose
Students often find poetry frustrating and meaningless. By helping students think critically about the differences between poetry and prose, this introduction sets the stage for different strategies for comprehending poetic texts.
- Parent & Afterschool Resources | Grades 6 – 12 | Podcast Episode
Celebrating Poetry for Teens
In honor of National Poetry Month in April, tune in for recommendations of a variety of poetry books for teens.
- Parent & Afterschool Resources | Grades 5 – 10 | Activity & Project
Make a Magnetic Poetry Set
Let children practice using different types of words in a fill-in-the-blank-story game before making their own word list for a magnetic poetry set.
- Parent & Afterschool Resources | Grades 3 – 8 | Printout | Writing It Out
Make a Magnetic Poetry Set
Children can make their own magnetic poetry set. Watch as the refrigerator becomes a space for literary art.
- Professional Development | Grades 6 – 8 | Professional Library | Book
Living Voices: Multicultural Poetry in the Middle School Classroom
Jaime Wood offers middle school English language arts teachers material for teaching poetry by Nikki Giovanni, Li-Young Lee, and Pat Mora; the text includes graphic organizers and other resources.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 3 – 5 | Lesson Plan | Standard Lesson
Poetry from Prose
Working in small groups, students compose found and parallel poems based on a descriptive passage they have chosen from a piece of literature they are reading.