Find content from Thinkfinity Partners using a visual bookmarking and sharing tool.
Home › Results from ReadWriteThink
1-10 of 173 Results from ReadWriteThink
- Classroom Resources | Grades 7 – 12 | Calendar Activity |  May 25
National Spelling Bee Finals are held this week.
Students discuss why certain contests get more publicity than others and what counts as "knowledge."
- Classroom Resources | Grades 6 – 8 | Lesson Plan | Recurring Lesson
Shared Spelling Strategies
Students increase their spelling accuracy and retention, while preserving fluency, by using sound, sight recall, and analyzing strategies instead of memorizing words, as they deal with spelling during drafting.
- Parent & Afterschool Resources | Grades 6 – 8 | Printout | Word Play
Spelling “Go Fish” Card Game
Use the familiar card game Go Fish to help children learn groups of tricky spelling words such as “conceive” and “autumn.”
- Professional Development | Grades 5 – 9 | Professional Library | Journal
Spelling: From Invention to Strategies
Veteran educator Howard Miller shares a set of strategies that can propel middle school writers (and "inventive" spellers) into the role of being responsible and strategic in this Voices from the Middle article.
- Professional Development | Grades 3 – 8 | Professional Library | Journal
Spelling in Parts: A Strategy for Spelling and Decoding Polysyllabic Words
The Spelling in Parts strategy can enhance children's ability to spell and decode multisyllabic words.
- Classroom Resources | Grades K – 5 | Lesson Plan | Standard Lesson
Spelling Cheerleading: Integrating Movement and Spelling Generalizations
"2-4-6-8, students will be spelling great" in this lesson that teaches the y rule for adding suffixes through cheering the spelling of words aloud, word sorts, and writing stories.
- Professional Development | Grades K – 8 | Professional Library | Book
Spelling in Use: Looking Closely at Spelling in Whole Language Classrooms
Laminack and Wood describe, in accessible and lively prose, both the theoretical foundations and the practical details of whole language classrooms.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 3 – 5 | Lesson Plan | Recurring Lesson
Sort, Hunt, Write: A Weekly Spelling Program
It's easy to make spelling fun. Using a variety of activities from sorting to using words in context will help deepen students' understanding of word patterns.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 4 – 8 | Lesson Plan | Standard Lesson
Spelling Patterns "Go Fish" Card Game
Students use sets of words that share a spelling pattern to create a card game like "Go Fish" and then play the game in groups, helping them improve their spelling.
- Classroom Resources | Grades 3 – 5 | Lesson Plan | Standard Lesson
The Two Voices of the ow Spelling Pattern
Variable vowels are the focus of this lesson; students use nursery rhymes and ow to study how vowels can change their sounds according to different spelling patterns.