Comparison Instructions and Resources
the ReadWriteThink Notetaker (or other online space for
taking notes) and
the resources listed below to research Shakespearean theater, modern
professional (Broadway) theater, and modern movie theaters. Then use a Venn diagram to compare and
contrast Shakespearean theater with either Broadway theater or modern
For each type of theater, research and compare some the following
England – London
- Issues Affecting the People Who Attended
- Transportation: Modes of
transportation and travel conditions, such as roads
- Health Issues: Medical and dental
issues, outbreaks of illnesses, sanitation, etc.
- Public and Government Attitude Toward the Event:
How is this form of entertainment perceived, who supports it/may be
- Other Entertainment Options: What
else could a theater-goer be doing instead of attending a play or movie?
- Information about the Audience and Theater-going Experience
- Audience: Who typically attends,
what are they like socially and financially; how are they expected to
- Theater Design: How is the theater
built, and how does this affect who attends and what they experience?
- Cost: Include ticket and extras,
such as refreshments
- Other Issues: When, where, and why
would the audience go to an event at this venue?
England – Money
Elizabethan England – Health
movie previews and articles, movie prices, current features, and movie
theaters, searchable by zip code