ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, videos, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Creating a Feast for the Senses With Mentor Texts
|Grades||3 – 6|
|Lesson Plan Type||Minilesson|
|Estimated Time||Two 60-minute sessions|
Saint Joseph, Missouri
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
- One copy of Dogzilla by Dav Pilkey (or other selected mentor text)
- One copy of a selected picture book for each student or pair of students (see Mentor Texts for Sensory Images for suggestions)
- Large chart paper or overhead or document camera, LCD projector, and screen
- Read Dogzilla by Dav Pilkey (or another selected mentor text) to familiarize yourself with the story and the vocabulary.
- Choose student writing samples from Writing Scored Student Work–Grade 4 (or your own resource), and make a copy for each student.
- Set up large chart paper to create an anchor chart or make an overhead of the Write Like… Handout.