Exploring the Disability Experience
- Show Notes |
- Related Resources |
Episode 70 – Exploring the Disability Experience
BBooks about teens who are living with disability highlight the courage and emotional strength that people with disabilities can summon. They also challenge us to reflect on how we treat disabled people in our own lives. Tune in to hear about young people who are living with birth defects, cerebral palsy, autism, schizophrenia, obsessive compulsive disorder, speech impediments, and traumatic war injuries. Reading their stories will lead teens to new conversations, new sensitivity, and new awareness.
After listening to this episode, be sure to print out this list of recommended titles to take to the library or book seller.
Books featured in this episode:
- Wonder by R. J. Palacio (Alfred A. Knopf, 2012)
- Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper (Atheneum, 2010)
- Colin Fischer by Ashley Edward Miller & Zack Stentz (Razorbill, 2012)
- Cameron and the Girls by Edward Averett (Clarion Books, 2013)
- OCD Love Story by Corey Ann Haydu (Simon Pulse, 2013)
- Paperboy by Vince Vawter (Delacorte, 2013)
- All the Truth That’s in Me by Julie Berry (Viking, 2013)
- Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth Wein (Disney-Hyperion, 2013)
- Somebody, Please Tell Me My Name by Harry Mazer & Peter Lerangis (Simon & Schuster, 2012)