- Show Notes |
- Related Resources |
Episode 58 – Life Stories
Life stories are books that trace defining moments and turning points in people’s lives. By exploring how individuals overcome obstacles and discover their passions – or fall prey to mistakes and inner demons – life stories illustrate how human beings navigate the complexities of living. Tune in to hear about a variety of life stories – some that celebrate lives of success, others that mourn lives tragically lost or wasted.
After listening to this episode, be sure to print out this list of recommended titles to take to the library or book seller.
Books featured in this episode:
- Hole in My Life by Jack Gantos (Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 2002)
- Chuck Close: Face Book by Chuck Close (Abrams, 2012)
- Steve Jobs: The Man Who Thought Different by Karen Blumenthal (Feiwel and Friends, 2012)
- Yoko Ono: Collector of Skies by Nell Beram & Carolyn Boriss-Krimsky (Abrams, 2013)
- Music Was IT: Young Leonard Bernstein by Susan Goldman Rubin (Charlesbridge, 2011)
- No Crystal Stair: A Documentary Novel of the Life and Work of Lewis Michaux, Harlem Bookseller by Vaunda Micheaux Nelson (Carolrhoda Lab, 2012)
- October Mourning: A Song for Matthew Shepard by Lesléa Newman (Candlewick, 2012)
- My Friend Dahmer by Derf Backderf (Abrams, 2012)